Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Scattershot Writing Horror Anthology - As Chosen By You...

So I thought it would be interesting to list all the stories suggested in my competition post below - consider this some kind of ultimate Scattershot Writing anthology of goodness:



Robert Aickman: The Cicerones
Clive Barker: In The Hills, The Cities (2 votes)
Clive Barker: Tortured Souls
Algernon Blackwood: The Willows
Ray Bradbury: The Foghorn
Ray Bradbury: Mars Is Heaven
Ray Bradbury: The October Game
Poppy Z Brite: The Sixth Sentinel
Truman Capote: Miriam
Harlan Ellison: Jeffty is Five (2 votes)
Harlan Ellison: Sensible City
Neil Gaiman: Other People
Neil Gaiman: The Price
Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Yellow Wallpaper (2 votes)
Elizabeth Hand: Cleopatra Brimstone
M John Harrison: The Incalling 
Joe Hill: The Cape
WW Jacobs: The Monkey's Paw
Shirley Jackson: The Lottery (2 votes)
MR James: A Warning To The Curious
Kafka: Metamorphosis
Stephen King: Chattery Teeth
Stephen King: Mrs. Todd's Shortcut
Stephen King: Survivor Type
Neil LaBute: Iphigenia in Orem
Fritz Leiber: Smoke Ghost
Robert Leman: There Are Feesters In the Lake
Kelly Link: Louise's Ghost
Kelly Link: The Hortlak (2 votes)
HP Lovecraft: The Colour Out of Space
HP Lovecraft: The Rats In The Walls
HP Lovecraft: Pickman's Model (2 votes)
Arthur Machen: The White People
Richard Matheson: Born Of Man And Woman
Joyce Carol Oates: Family
Joyce Carol Oates: Smother
Edgar Allen Poe: The Pit And The Pendulum (2 votes)
Edgar Allen Poe: The Raven
Edgar Allen Poe: The Tell Tale Heart
Aaron Polson: Tesoro's Magic Bullet
Jim Shepard: The Creature From The Black Lagoon
Michael Marshall Smith: What Happens When You Wake Up In The Night
Margaret St. Clair: Horror Howce
Theodore Sturgeon: It!
F Paul Wilson: The Barrens


Well if it was a real anthology I'd buy it. You guys sure have good taste... I think everyone who contributed managed to list both stories I really love, and some that were new to me. Definitely some ones I will be checking out. Bradbury, King, Lovecraft and Poe were the most popular in terms of numbers of stories nominated.

We'd also have to find room for these less than precise suggestions:


"[Can't remember title*] by Richard Matheson * sure it has a child, locked in a room, and faces painted on the wall with glow in the dark paint, not Born Of."


"A story about people in the arctic purposefully freezing and amputating their limbs that I am sure I read at chizine.com but which I can find no mention of. "

"A lot of Ligotti stories." 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd buy it!

James Everington said...

Good call on The Willows by the way; I love that story.

Out Lovecrafts Lovecraft, in my opinion.

Alain Gomez said...

This would be a fantastic buy. I'll notify my publisher immediately =p

My only minor quibble is that I think there should only be one story from each author.

James Everington said...

There's no pleasing some people...