Monday 31 October 2011

Coffin Hop #2 - Ghosts for Halloween

Ghosts are my favourite of all the 'standard' horror monsters, for reasons to be explained in a future blog post.  For a final post for the Coffin Hop and for Halloween, I've collected some of my favourite quotes about ghosts. They're not all from horror authors, indeed they're not all from authors that I actually like; but they are all interesting...

If any of you have any other great ghost quotes, let me know in the comments, and I'll toss a free ebook your way.

"Behind every man now alive stand 30 ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living." ARTHUR C. CLARKE, 2001: A Space Odyssey

"Whenever I take up a newspaper, I seem to see Ghosts gliding between the lines. There must be Ghosts all the country over, as thick as the sand of the sea..." HENRIK IBSEN, Ghosts

"The more enlightened our houses are, the more their walls ooze ghosts." ITALO CALVINO, The Literature Machine

"The lawn
Is pressed by unseen feet, and ghosts return
Gently at twilight"
T.S. ELIOT, To Walter de la Mare

"Of all ghosts, the ghosts of our old loves are the worst." SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

"Houses are not haunted. We are haunted, and regardless of the architecture with which we surround ourselves, our ghosts stay with us until we ourselves are ghosts." DEAN KOONTZ, Velocity

1 comment:

EC said...

I have to say that Arthur C. Clarke's creeped me out the most. I can't think of any ghost quotes, but when I do, I'll drift them your way.

Super happy to be chosen as a winner of your Coffin Hop Contest (Going to check out your books now), and am glad to have another horror writing comrade.

Thanks James! Happy All Saint's Day.