Wednesday 3 April 2019

Recommendations: Mea Culpa

It's been awhile since I've posted any book recommendations on here. Life has been pretty busy recently, if only from the constant stress of checking the exact shade of the Brexit shit-tsunami every hour or so. So I'm afraid this blog has been rather negelected.

But I have been reading (of course) and some of what I've read has been brilliant, so here's some super-lazy recommendations of the best of them....



Missing by Alison Moore
Alison Moore is one of the most exception writers working today, in my opinion, and this new novel was a real treat. Exquisitely written, both deadpan and moving, it's a story (if such is the word) of missed connections, ill communication, and the mundanity both of real life and the supernatural. I loved it.


Where Angels Fear To Tread by E.M. Forster
I know, finger on the pulse me, eh? Somehow, I'd never read this before, and it was simply brilliant. Funny and tragic in equal measure. You've likely already read it and know this though, right?


Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor
This was really interesting. Each chapter covers one year in the lives of the inhabitants of a village where a young girl went missing. The reverberations of this are felt throughout the book, but the stories are told in snippets as the years progress. Structurally brilliant, it's home to some wonderful nature writing too.


Darker Companions: Celebrating 50 Years of Ramsey Campbell
A tribute anthology celebration fifty years of the fiction of Ramsey Campbell, this features too many good stories to mention them all... so I won't. Suffice to say, if you like Campbell's fiction (and come on, who doesn't) this doesn't disappoint.

No comments: